Friday, November 9, 2007

Wow that was a hectic month. Combine living at the ER on the weekends with crazy biochemistry studying and epi lectures to give...

I am going to miss my ER rotations. A lot. The one particular hospital I spend every weekend at, a county hospital level one trauma center, has basically been my new home this semester.

I am going to miss:

  • The really nice pediatric trauma fellow who loved to let us do cool things like hold a screaming kid while he stitched up a 8 inch laceration while thoroughly explaining everything he was doing as he was doing it. First of all, pediatric trauma? Wow. Second, a really really nice guy/doctor in a super busy ER who obviously has better things to do than show EMT students cool random things on the xray scans? Now that's rare.
  • The smell of vomit, feces, urine, sweat, blood, rotting flesh, cleaning solution. Oh wait, never mind, I have a weak sense of smell =)
  • The helicopter pad. I swear if I find a really cool girlfriend, I am going to bring her to the top. On a clear night. Yes.
  • One word: nurses.
Quick reminders to myself for the future:

  • Please please keep extra gloves in your pocket.
  • DO NOT BE A WALLFLOWER. Seriously. That is the only thing separating our class from all of the normal paramedic students.
  • Stop with the AC IV's.

On a related note, I started an IV on myself the other night. Sweet. Now I just need to keep the ingredients for an banana bag in my room for those pesky hangovers =)

More on my first ambulance shifts later on.

No comments: