Sunday, November 8, 2009

Frustrated

I am frustrated. Once a week I go to a clinical skills class to learn how to perform a history, physical exam, etc. For a long long time, the course consisted of a group of students getting together with a faculty preceptor to talk about mushy stuff such as empathy and the importance of a "patient centered" interview. Yeah, yeah.

The EMT in me was thinking well that is nice, but what if you have a mentally unstable patient or a lovely GSW (gun shot wound) and blood is everywhere and you NEED a quick, effective report YESTERDAY?

For a month I was either bored out of my mind, or teaching my classmates how to draw blood, take vital signs, etc. However, the game changed recently, and caught me unaware. New territory began to pop up, such as cardio-pulmonary examinations. The material suddenly exploded, and I have pretty done a 180. Now it is REAL DOCTOR stuff, and all of the sudden I am struggling to keep up.

I got my wish. I am still frustrated. Now for completely opposite reasons.

No comments: